Sunday, November 18, 2012

The First Delicious Summer Drink!


Summer in Durban gets super duper hot, the kind of hot where by 10am you are glowing and your dress is stuck to your legs and all you want to do and jump in a pool or lie on a tiled floor with the aircon blasting. I am not generally a hot weather kinda gal, to be honest...I usually battle with the heat and count down the days till the beginning of Autumn!

Yet, this year, I am excited to embrace summer in all it's sticky, sweaty glory! I envision myself tanning on my mom's roof with my sister and going to slightly secluded beaches with W, so that no one can laugh at my cold water shrieking and post-swim shiver! I want to do a home drive-in, a sticky wings barbeque and a night lying on the lawn looking at the stars. Let's not forget dancing in the summer rains and spending sweltering hot afternoons planting flowers in the garden followed by a water fight.

Although, this whole embracing summer thing is pretty new to me, there is one thing i have always loved about the heat of summer and that is a Delicious Iced Mocha! When I worked at the Art's Cafe' in the KZNSA Gallery, I would rush around on my feet all day in summer - serving our loyal holiday patrons delicious ice cold beverages, filled with crushed ice in frosty glasses and at the end of a ridiculously busy day, I would order an Iced Mocha and it was the most delicious and thirst quenching summer drink! So! Here it is! My simple and easy Iced Mocha recipe:



1 shot of espresso (I use an Ethiopian bean from Colombo Coffee)
5 teaspoons of hot chocolate powder (Nomu Skinny Hot Chocolate is a winner)
1/4 teaspoon of sugar
1 cup of chilled milk
A handful of ice blocks

Firstly, mix your espresso with your hot chocolate until there are no lumps in the mixture, no one wants try clumps of dry powder in their iced coffee! Next, put your ice blocks in a glass, or if you are like me and you want a more authentic and vintagey look you can use a consol glass jar! Once your ice blocks are in, pour your espresso/chocolate mixture over the ice blocks, which will immediately begin to cool it down. The final step is to pour your chilled milk over the ice, espresso, chocolate mixture! If you pour slowly you get a really awesome ombre look to your Iced Mocha! I tend to put my milk in the freezer so that it gets a bit slushy and slightly frozen!
Serve with coloured straws and enjoy! If you want, you can add a swirl of piped cream and a few sprinkle for a little more "fancy".

I really enjoyed mine this afternoon, all frosty and yummy and full of chill. Nothing says summer quite like the condensation of a freezing drink dripping off your glass onto your knees on the front steps of your porch. As luck (and summer) would have it, the heavens opened and there was a gorgeous summer rain shortly after I had cooled off!

I am really looking forward to posting my next summer drink recipe!I have a feeling it is going to be a real hit.

Jordy xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment