Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday Blues


Hello hello Monday,


So nice to see you, did you have a mighty fine weekend? I bet you did! The closer the end of the weekend gets the closer you get to being you! How swell! Well I hope you keep on keepin’ on and hopefully we’ll be better friends next week! xxx Jordy

Eugh. Alright guys, I just want to start off by saying; I do not fall into the category of people who despise Mondays and every Monday is a nightmare and is bound to be hell on earth. I am really not one of those people, I generally believe that a day is what you make of it and no matter the name of the day or where about it falls within the week, you can make it a spectacular and magnificent event in your life that you celebrate with a glass of champagne covered in cuddly cats and crochet blankets with a sparkler in your non-champagne holding hand, grinning from ear to ear. That’s obviously how I would celebrate, but you may be different.

Every day is a wonderful gift and if you try real hard, no matter what event unfurls, you can make it a #winning event that contributes to your days overall success! We all love a sweet success right? Right! So armed with this determined and positive attitude you can tackle each day like it’s your birthday and come out the other side smiling. I am starting to sound like a TV ad selling some sort of miracle product.

But

Some days I get a bit tired of trying so hard to look on the bright side and make happy ”yeeha” lists and be grateful for what I have and do all the things that all those happy-positive-life books tell you to do. I don’t want to make a real life paper&glue vision board or pin loads of inspirational images on my pinterest today and I sure as Nelly don’t want to “talk about my feelings”. I am pretty sure even my mate Depak Chopra has these days.

The most important thing about having a blue day, is that it isn’t every single day. We can’t be living our lives in the blue section of the pantone book. That shit ‘aint right y’all.

A blue day can start a number of ways; it could be a statement that hurts you more than you let on, it could be a cold and condescending response to something brave and polite that took a lot of guts to admit. Heck, it could be burnt toast, standing on your kittens tail, a headache, a text or getting shouted at good and proper. In order to have less of these blue days, we have to figure out how all this blue got so blue, cause that shit can get navy dark real fast yo.

Here is a little symbolic story for you:

The day before W and I were leaving to go on a trip to Cape Town, I had to do an emergencyrushrush load of washing and tumble-dry in order to pack my bags and be ready to leave on time. Obviously not taking the clothes with me was not an option. Now, (eek for having to tell people this) I didn’t really know how to use W’s washing machine. (Okay fine, 1.5 years later and I still don’t really know what’s going on with that thing.) It has all sorts of buttons and dials and clicking circles and fabric softener drawers and lots of writing. My machine at home was a big metal box with a dial that you twist and pull and off the old girl goes, washin’ your washing.

So, like an expert washing machine operator, not wanting to interrupt W furiously working in his office, I set off stuffing all my washing in the front loader, chucking washing powder and delicious spring fresh fabric softener in the drawers, twisting dials and pressing things, feeling like Harry Potter in the prefects bathroom when he was trying to figure out how to open the golden egg? Anyone? No? (nerd alert) I settle on “eco-wash”. Guys, I have no idea what eco-wash is, it just sounded really green and cool and like I would be saving the planet. Clueless.

Anyway, off I go, doing something else and packing things and playing with cats and making tea blah blah blah. The washing machine makes this loud beeping sound and off I go to try and figure out how to make this sophisticated machine turn into a tumble drier. When I looked into the machine... every.single.thing was blue. My expensive white bra, my linen shorts, my new vests, my green hoodie, my coral hoodie, everything was either blue or had a gross blue tinge to it.

Before you start thinking that I am nuts to put white with other colours, I had done it COUNTLESS times with my tin can machine at home, those exact items, those exact washed-one-hundred-times jeans! This had never happened to me before. I was so bummed and I didn’t end up taking any of that stuff anyway. To this day, I have no idea what turned everything blue and it happened again after that. I know right?

The thing is, we often don’t uncover what it is that we put in the white laundry that turned everything blue, we just leave it and hope that it will wash out or never happen again. We chuck the clothes out or learn to just wear those duck egg linen shorts, instead of looking at how we can fix it or how we can stop these same things happening over and over again.

So basically, learn from your blue days, grow out of having the same things dye your days. You will always have challenging situations and crappy things to deal with, people will not always be nice to you, perhaps that apology was cast aside and not valued, maybe that hurtful comment was said without thought and maybe it hasn’t been thought of since. There is ombre, dip-dye and tie-dye guys, not every blue day has to be totally blue, it may just be the tips, a few shades or a smattering here and there.

Jordy
xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment